Kickstarter has long been the go-to platform for people who want to make their board game dream a reality. There’s been countless successes and failures throughout kickstarters history when it comes to board games. We’re here today to talk about some of the most successful board games on kickstarter. In ascending order from least funded to most funded, here is our list of the top kickstarter board games and other table-top games.
#10) Gloomhaven (Second Printing)
“Get the improved version of Gloomhaven, a cooperative card-driven game of combat in an expansive campaign. 1-4 players, 30 min/player.”
- Check it out Here: Gloomhaven on Kickstarter
- Total Funding: $3,999,795
- Goal: $100,000
- Publisher: Isaac Childres
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 3999%
- Estimated Release Date: May 2017
- What People Think: Gloomhaven was a smash hit and took home a ton of awards.
If you’re looking for a game that’s leaving the critics breathless look no further than gloomhaven. Boasting more game of the year titles than you could shake a stick at this second printing of Gloomhaven has absolutely crushed it’s Kickstarter goal. Through various campaigns this game offers a massive amount of replayability and variety.
#9) Zombicide: Black Plague
“The ultimate zombie boardgame, reinvented in a medieval fantasy setting! New survivors, new zombies, new equipment, and revamped rules!”
- Check it out Here: Zombicide: Black Plague on Kickstarter
- Total Funding: $4,079,204
- Goal: $125,000
- Publisher: CMON
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 3263%
- Estimated Release Date: Dec 2015
This is a zombie gaming experience like no other. If you like the sheer thrill of mowing down a horde than this is the game for you. In this game you must try to learn spells and acquire weapons to kill more and more zombies, making yourself more powerful with each passing kill.
#8) Rising Sun
“Clans must use politics, strength and honor to rule the land in this board game with amazing miniatures set in legendary feudal Japan.”
- Check it out Here: Rising Sun on Kickstarter
- Total Funding: $4,228,060
- Goal: $50,000
- Publisher: CMON
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 8456%
- Estimated Release Date: Apr 2018
This game of clans has players try to reforge Japan in the image of the great Kami. In your course to become emperor you must use politics and power to outwit and outplay your opponents and become the one victorious clan.
“A semi-cooperative SF horror game where you and other crewmembers desperately fight to survive – and fulfill conflicting objectives.”
- Check it out Here: Nemesis Board Game on Kickstarter
- Total Funding: £3,080,833
- Goal: £50,000
- Publisher: Awaken Realms, Rebel
- Estimated Release Date: Sept 2018
This game puts one goal above all else. Your survival. It’s a co operative game where 1-5 players try to complete their secret objectives and survive through this seemingly doomed ship. But be sure to be quiet as not to alert any unwanted attention.
#6) Batman: Gotham City Chronicles
“Fight for Gotham City as the heroes or work alone as the villain in a miniatures boardgame for 2 to 4 players exclusive to Kickstarter.”
- Check it out Here: Batman: Gotham City Chronicles on Kickstarter
- Total Funding: $4,403,197
- Goal: $500,000
- Publisher: Monolith Board Games LTD
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 880%
- Estimated Release Date: Apr 2019
Only a table top gaming company like Monolith, backed with the Batman IP, can expect to set a goal this high and still surpass it. This game comes with all the polish and detail you’d expect from Monolith and promises to be one of the greatest games of the year.
#5) Zombicide: Green Horde
“The medieval fantasy Zombicide saga continues with a horde of undead orcs, new environment features, resources and challenges!”
- Check it out Here: Zombicide: Green Horde
- Total Funding: $5,004,614
- Goal: $300,000
- Publisher: CMON
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 1668%
- Estimated Release Date: June 2018
Even with the ambitious goal of $300,000, Zombicide: Greene Horde still managed to blow right past it. This game is a sequel to the already successful Zombicide: Black Plague which raised over 4 million.
#4) Dark Souls Board Game
“Dark Souls™ – The Board Game is a strategically challenging, deeply immersive combat exploration game for 1-4 players.”
- Check it out Here: Dark Souls – The Board Game on Kickstarter
- Total Funding: £3,771,474
- Goal: £50,000
- Publisher: Steamforged Games Ltd.
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 7542%
- Estimated Release Date: Apr 2017
#3) THE 7th CONTINENT – What Goes Up, Must Come Down
“Get ready for brand new adventures in the first ever board game where YOU are the hero! 1000+ minutes of adventure for 1 to 4 players.”
- Check it out Here: THE 7th CONTINENT – What Goes Up, Must Come Down on Kickstarter
- Total Funding: $7,072,757
- Goal: $40,000
- Publisher: Serious Poulp
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 17681%
- Estimated Release Date: Oct 2018
This card based exploration game has been in the making for nearly thirty years. Thanks to the hopeful backers at Kickstarter it’s finally about to be a reality. This game already boasts some amazing reviews by almost everyone who has tried it but this expansion expands this into a game of massive scope and innovation.
#2) Exploding Kittens
“This is a card game for people who are into kittens and explosions and laser beams and sometimes goats.”
- Check it out Here: Exploding Kittens
- Total Funding: $8,782,571
- Goal: $10,000
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 87875%
- Estimated Release Date: July 2015
With one of the hugest successes in kickstarter history, Elan, Matt and Shane absolutely blew by their goal of 10k. So much so that there was multiple successful expansions funded as well. This quirky card game is all about trying your damndest not to explode while trying to force that fate on someone else. It’s a great party game for anyone just looking to have a good time.
#1) Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5
“A cooperative nightmare horror game experience. Hunt intelligent monsters and develop your settlement through a self-running campaign.”
- Check it out Here: Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 on Kickstarter
- Total Funding: $12,393,139
- Goal: $100,000
- Total Percentage of Goal Raised: 12393%
- Estimated Release Date: 2020
This gorgeous board game is packed full of miniatures to help you survive a hellish landscape. As far as art and execution goes this game is unmatched, it’s one of those things that you just want to own to show off how darn cool it is. Through the imagination of Adam Poots and the support of many dedicated backers this co-operative game will take you on a journey like no other.